Sunday, March 25, 2007

A Spartan Experience and A “Little Lighter Fare”

Green Light Bistro

Rating: 4 out of 5

Location: 2209 Silver Ave Se, Albuquerque, NM 87106

Phone: (505) 254-0100

Review:

For all of you who prefer things vegetarian, the Green Light Bistro is a great choice. This restaurant, owned by the same people who own the Anna Purnas in New Mexico, is all vegetarian and offers low glutin cuisine. They also offer vegan as well as glutin-free dishes. Now I know that this style of food does not interest everyone, because I used to be the same way until I started working there. All the dishes are made to order with the freshest organic ingredients. There isn't a microwave in the whole building. The cooks come in every day and design a new specials menu with seasonal ingredients. I used to eat primarily meat and dairy until I started working there. The food can be enjoyed by everyone so I encourage those who are near Yale and Silver to stop in at Green Light for a little lighter fare.

Review Author: Michael Lovaglio

300

Rating: 4.5 out of 5

Director: Zack Snyder

Release Date: March 9, 2007

Genre: Action/Historical Fantasy

Review:

Based on the graphic novel by Frank Miller, 300 is a semi-historical telling of the Battle of Thermopylae (480 B.C.). Outnumbered by thousands in this battle, a Greek force of 300 stalled invading Persians, ultimately influencing the outcome of their war.

The movie follows King Leonidas, the Spartan ruler, as he holds off over a million fantastical Persians in a commendable effort of wit and ingenuity with his small force of just 300 men. Back in Sparta, his wife, Queen Gorgo, is followed as she tries to get more men sent to aid Leonidas, proving to exemplify the strong female presence in Spartan society.

A work of art in itself, 300 uses mainly bluescreens for the scenery, and is filmed to imitate comic book panels seen in Miller’s graphic novel. The toning of the scenery is eye-catching, and the battle scenes are intense, but critics argue that the characters tend to be “one-dimensional” and unbelievable. With all the fuss about the movie, it is well worth your time and money to be the judge of such claims.

Review Author: Melissa Freeland

No comments: