I once heard a statistic that the average American spends about two or more hours daily in front of the computer. I remember thinking, “Wow, I don’t even spend this much time on the computer in a month!” Although I still don’t enjoy sitting in front of my computer, I do it more frequently than I have in the past. I learned to derive pleasure out of exploring the Internet for interesting sites, and compiled some sites perhaps useful or just interesting for UNM students.
First of all, if the Internet is going to be utilized from a laptop, access must be found. Free wireless is the way to go for students, but the usual coffee shop you end up at is beginning to feel a little stale. There are hundreds of spots in Albuquerque alone that provide free wireless, and many of them are listed on www.wififreespot.com or www.switchboard.com. Along with the listing is included the address and phone number of each location. Did you know that you can sit in the Albuquerque Sunport airport and get on the Internet?
There is a plethora of information too big to explore thoroughly, and for those students who don’t exactly know the path they will take after school, library.colostate-pueblo.edu lists many useful career websites. There are a few that pertain only to individuals searching for a career in Colorado, but most of the sites are resources that expand to all states, with some international resources as well. For those looking for jobs in music, media and film, www.grapevinejobs.com appeared fairly accommodating for the wants and needs of these people.
If you are like me and are stalling your graduation from college because you don’t know what you want to do, there are several websites offering free personality tests. One site, www.whohasjobs.com offers free personality tests specifically designed to offer insight about the most suitable career for your type. Other sites offering these tests are these: www.humanmetrics.com, www.actualme.com, www.similarminds.com and www.jobsearch.about.com. If you just want to take a personality test without being told you should be a waste-disposal manager, web.tickle.com offers a test just for fun.
So some of these are, “ho-hum, I’d look these up for fun on a rainy, sad Monday” sort-of websites. But there’s a whole world for discovery on the Internet. A weekend hike or camping trip can be found online at www.explorenm.com, or you can bake some French pastry to impress your guests (as long as you don’t try to pronounce the name of it) with the help of www.epicurious.com. Perhaps you just want to know how to… change your oil, cut your own hair, or ask a guy or girl out. Hundreds of “How to” articles on www.ehow.com answer those nagging, “how to” questions. And if you are bored or stressed to the max, www.homestarrunner.com offers all the insight I’ve ever needed through the free “counsel” of wise sages.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment